Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Team Building, Tennis or Pole Jumping?

So when fields are closed here because of continual rain storms, and you don't want to send your team home because you should take advantage of the fact that you have your team's attention for 1-2 hours, what do you do? My choice yesterday was to take them to a tennis court and play some soccer tennis. Soccer tennis is a blast, the kids get to hang out and have fun and on top of that, it helps improve touch on the ball. So it is a win-win as far I am concerned.

What does SC Heerenveen (Michael Bradley's club team) do for team building? They play a sport called Fierljeppen which involves a long pole and a body of water. You can watch Bradley's team play the sport below. If you are just skimming this and don't watch all 72 seconds of this video, do yourself a favor and skip to 46 seconds in and watch Bradley take his turn. He totally eats it. It is wicked funny.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is funny!

I used to do that at the pool when I lifeguarded. We would take the "shepherd's crook" (I think that was the name of it) and pole vault into the water when no one was around.

I think I was better at it than Michael Bradley.