Monday, January 17, 2011

King(s)

I've started to read Peter King's MMQB the last couple of weeks (yes I am late to the party) and have found it pretty amusing at times as well as simply allowing me to hold my own in conversations with my wife, who is a serious football fan. Well, she is a fan of any sport actually...and has an impressive array of stats about most players in the NFL, EPL, international soccer, you name it.

Back to King: In addition to a slew of interesting sports information, King's random reflections on various topics can be even more interesting than the latest tripping scandal in the NFL or the rantings of a team that doesn't know how to win with class. This particular reflection was an interesting one to me and I find the quote from Kennedy inspirational.

And I'll leave you with this last thing. Last week, I wrote about the Tucson shootings peripherally, and asked, in a naïve way I suppose, for people to stop yelling at each other in the media and in society. And I came across this nugget. Thursday will be the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's inauguration. In his speech that day, he asked the countries America was in conflict with -- the Soviet Union and Cuba, without mentioning them by name -- to be able to start over in discussing how to control the arms race.

"Let us begin anew,'' he said, "remember on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.''

King's Twitter feed is pretty interesting as well sometimes. Voluminous all the time. Today it made me laugh to see the tweets come in that criticized his characterization of the "men in suits" who are negotiating the lockout in the NFL. I would say the argument was closed and won with this statement that he made but I am sure the banter will continue.

USWLeeann: Insulting. Women are probably brokering deal in back corner
SI_Peter_King: There's a slight chance I know more about this than you.
I would be remiss to not mention the whole reason I get to make a long textual blog post on a Monday morning. If you are looking for inspirational quotes to guide you along the way, these words will never fail.

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

No comments: