Monday, December 31, 2007
Throw in Christmas, work, graduation, visiting relatives and soccer coaching and it has been a whirlwind of activity for Jozy to get used to. However, by today, I have to say that she was starting to beat my expectations and actually had moments of quiet around Elvis...and was sometimes able to sit in his presence. And then Elvis left this morning, his parents home from their Christmas vacation.
Jozy, depressed and saddened at the loss of her new friend, was immediately consoled by her first day of puppy obedience school.
Class was a trip. There were about 10 other dogs, almost every one was some sort of small toy dog that had been purchased from Texas or Mississippi and was about 1/3rd the size of Jozy. Jozy took to her role of bad girl of the class with ease, barking and freaking out until the instructor dropped two pig ears in her lap to chew on. Throw in some summer sausage and Jozy was as happy as a clam. Most of the class was spent talking and eating pig ears. No real instruction yet. However, by the end of the class Jozy was having some one on one time with another classmate, sharing summer sausage in the training ring with only occassional outbursts of aggressive play. It will be interesting to see how she does next week.
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Monday, December 24, 2007
While we were on the LSU campus for graduation, we got to stop by the tiger cage and see LSU's Siberian-Bengal mascot, Mike the Tiger (the VI). Mike weighs over 300 pounds. I'm not sure how many times in my life I have seen an animal like this...he was really impressive. Here are a few Mike links:
Official Home Page
LSU letter to PETA after being asked to not replace the last Mike
Sunday, December 23, 2007
This photo above was taken during our recent trip to San Francisco - at the part of Chinatown that borders the area where City Lights is located. I just started working with some of the San Fran shots I took, so there will probably be a few more posted here sometime soon. The photo below is a miscellaneous street scene taken from the same walk.
P.S. Some graduation photos should be coming up pretty soon for those of you who are interested. Right now though, it is time to go brave some traffic and check out lines. Only 1.5 shopping days left!
Friday, December 21, 2007
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Here is another photo of the same kid, just from the side.
Needless to say, I won't be doing this particular celebration any time soon.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Player 1: Hey Andrey has a hat trick!
Player 2: A Mexican hat trick.
Coach: What does the fact that he is Mexican have anything to do with it?
Player 2: Stop being so Northern.
Pretty funny exchange. And by the way, the player with the hat trick is from Cuba.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
To be fair, I think their point was that this would be the first time either team would be a national champion, but still, it seemed like a silly graphic. Both Ohio State and Wake Forest played great soccer. Wake Forest ended up winning 2-1.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Thursday, December 13, 2007
"Major League Soccer today announced the initial list of 54 college seniors from 33 Division I schools who have been invited to participate in the 2008 adidas MLS Player Combine. The annual player combine will be held at Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Jan. 11-15, 2008."
On the list is Joseph Lapira, Louisiana native who went to St. Louis High School. MLSNet did a quick profile on Lapira as a top college prospect for the MLS. For some reason, he appears to be choosing to play on the Irish national team rather than the US MNT. He is eligible to do so because of his Irish mother. If you were good enough to play international soccer, would you pick to play for Ireland or the US?
Here is his Notre Dame player profile.
Ok. Well, not that bad. Just my lip was swollen. It was about the size of my nose and was covered with a ton of little white dots. To cure the ailment, I took some Benedryl and put ice on my lip. I wasn't sure how bad it was going to get so I tried to find out what it could possibly be by searching on Google. If you ever search Google for "little white dots on my lip" you should know that the only hits you'll get are related to Herpes. After some careful thinking, I decided I would rule out airborne Herpes or mosquito carried Herpes as a potential diagnosis. With no other potential ideas at hand, my friend "retired" suggested that it might be a brown recluse spider bite. However, I wasn't showing many symptoms related to a venomous spider bite so I ruled that out.
Unable to diagnose the issue, I took a second benadryl and had a beer. Wow. Combining those two was a bad idea. I went out to dinner with my wife and could not carry on a conversation that stayed in one single thread. Today, the swelling has gone down a little but it still feels like I am woozy from the benadryl. So I am taking it easy and getting some rest, working only occasionally. What a weird night. I wonder what bit me?
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Monday, December 10, 2007
usually when things have gone this far
people tend to disappear
1. Prior to the start of the game, the league commissioner announced that due to the fact that we will be unable to complete the full playoff schedule, that the playoffs are now meaningless. Regular season records will be used to determine the champion of the league. All games in the post-season are being considered friendlies. Pretty weird right? Note: Our regular season record puts us tied for first place. We are scheduled to play that team next Sunday. Seems like it might make sense to make this a league final.
2. Things got a little out of control during the "friendly" game. It's normal for this to occur. The unfortunate incident was that the other team's fans started cheering for their players to hurt us. It got worse. The children who were watching joined in. Picture a 7 year old girl standing on the sideline yelling "Kick him in the shin!" and you'll understand what it was like.
Sunday, December 09, 2007
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Friday, December 07, 2007
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
...and then, I am headed to bed and decide to wash my hands. Clink. I drops from a towel. Sigh. Thank God I am no longer that guy. I am way too sentimental to just go out and buy a replacement. It would never be the same.
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Looks like UEFA is spreading the same message. This commercial is much more funny then the NFL spots. I love the trip and then the PK at the end. This is classic.
The official poster for the 2010 World Cup was just released. Start planning your trips to South Africa now!
FIFA: ""[It] is symbolic of the relationship between football and Africa, and captures a sense of excitement, awe and aspiration," Fifa said on its website. "It also reflects the positive impact that World Cup will have on Africa. Africa is the hero of the official event poster.""
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
The consistency that Beckham has on his free kicks is awesome. Pure and simple. One shot, one goal.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
We have also taught her a new trick. It is called "dance." She seems to be a smart dog. Just yesterday she unlocked the back door in an attempt to escape.
Monday, November 26, 2007
1. Eye-Fi: Wirelessly upload photos from your digital camera to your laptop, Flickr, Picasa, Snapfish, etc.
2. NYTimes 100 Notable books of 2007: Start building Christmas shopping/wish lists here.
Lo and behold, in the game room upstairs, I saw my first Fat Head. I promptly announced, "Look! A Wallbanger!" and was summarily corrected by the Southern Living guide who was stationed in the game room. "That's a Fat Head." I then told her all about the EPL, FSC and Wallbangers. She did not seem impressed. Oh well.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Digitally, it was a bad weekend - my laptop's motherboard appears to be fried and my Blackberry was a pain for a day or two. It looks like the earliest Dell can make it to our house is Tuesday, so I am borrowing my wife's laptop for as much of the work day as I can.
Dog news: Jozy learned to give us her paw yesterday.
Friday, November 23, 2007
So far so good. We had a couple of setbacks with Jozy on her first day here but since then she has been doing great. This morning she even brought in the paper (with a little encouragement). We took her to a lake yesterday - it was the first body of water she has ever seen. After attacking the small waves and getting nice and cold, she was ready to run through the woods with me chasing after her like a mad man. We went on a little jog as well, right before all of the Thanksgiving festivities started. As a result of the long day, she slept right through Thanksgiving dinner and didn't beg for Turkey once!
Yesterday was so full of turkey and exercise that the ladies of the house are now all passed out sleeping on the couch. It's tough to see her, but Jozy is in the bottom right of the photo above.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
This version of Guyamas Sonora was recorded by La Blogotheque as a part of their Take Away Shows, which are all really awesome. The studio version obviously sounds a little different. Enjoy.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Sunday, November 18, 2007
I'm not sure why many of you would be excited about the release of a long overdue Monthly Mix...seeing as I still have a pile of envelopes and boxes with your names on them, all filled with "...the plot that you passed." But still, here she is. And I'll head to the post office before I head out of town for Thanksgiving. I promise.
1. Bread & Water «» Ryan Bingham
2. Down Together «» The Refreshments
4. The Opposite of Hallelujah «» Jens Lekman
5. The General Specific «» Band of Horses
6. Images «» The Selmanaires
7. Livin' In the Future «» Bruce Springsteen
8. Black «»
9. The River «» Josh Ritter
10. Incredibly Drunk On Whiskey «»
11. Breakdown «» Jack Johnson
12. The Other Side «» Ryan Bingham
13. God and Money «» The Ike Reilly Assassination
14. Mistaken For Strangers «» The National
15. Cigarettes, Wedding Bands «» Band of Horses
16. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere «» Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
17. Guyamas Sonora «»
18. Time Is A Lion «» Joe Henry
19. Blue Collar Suicide «» The Refreshments
20. I Predict A Riot «» Kaiser Chiefs
Friday, November 16, 2007
Here's a video of the team putting on a clinic for some young kids who look like they could school me big time.
It is amazing how much time and effort she puts into this event, and it all shows in how beautiful the festival is year over year. Not only that, but it keeps getting better.
Check out the commercial for this year's event. And here is a link to the website.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Jozy is doing well, she has learned how to jump on the couch, and has also learned how comfortable it is. She can be found there for a good portion of the day. Most other moments you can find her eating the brick of our fireplace, which is really bizarre. Her toy Squeaky isn't doing so hot - he just lost an arm.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
1. iPod Shuffle
There's just something I like about 1980-ish sounding French pop being made in 2007. Can you argue with that?
Monday, November 12, 2007
So we finally named our dog! Let me re-introduce you to Jozy (pronounced like Josie). She had an action packed weekend that all started with her first bath. As you can tell, she really enjoyed it.
Other milestones from Jozy's first weekend:
1. First trip to the vet. So far, she has a clean bill of health but is a few weeks away from settling into a regular vet pattern. We are giving her some basic medicine and she is going back for shots and other fun stuff in the future.
2. First soccer game. She had a blast at the HS jamboree. So much so, that after the first 60 minutes she was collapsed on her side passed out.
3. First dog attack. Some of our friends brought their dog over on Sunday and Jozy was not very friendly. Elvis (the visiting dog) started the introduction by sniffing Jozy's face. Jozy returned the favor by trying to bite off his nose. We think that Jozy had it tough in the pound and may still be in the "fight for survival" mindset. Alternatively, she may have been protecting her brand new home. Either way, we'll have to figure this one out.
4. First crying child. She appears to be awesome with kids and plays with them really well, which is awesome. However, she is also very excited about nibbling anything she can get her paws on...which evidently includes the hair of my friend retired's daughter. Lucy was a big fan up until that point.