Thursday, December 30, 2010
The piece above is called A Fuoco and it is an excellent example of how beautiful his arrangements can be. One of my other favorite pieces off of this album is called Ora. I couldn't find a video online that would do it justice though. If you are interested in tracking it down via iTunes or another forum I promise that you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Friday, December 24, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
Jozy is in for a one of her best long weekends in Arkansas ever - getting spoiled by her doggie grandparents left and right. Here she is waiting for my mother (left) and my wife's mother (right) while visiting the park yesterday. The excitement of their meeting / temptation for Jozy to run down that hill was almost too much for her to bear.
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Zachary Richard was followed by BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet - another staple and amazing talent of cajun music. Prior to them taking stage, we made our way to the front which was surprisingly easy. Literally, this venue was so intimate that I was standing right in front of these guys during their whole set. People were just throwing their purses at the foot of the stage and two-stepping away. The UL Wind Ensemble joined them for several songs and the combination was unique, beautiful and something that I'm not sure will be replicated many times in the future. It was awesome.
Those were my two favorite acts. Feufollet followed and provided another great set of music but after a long day of cleaning the house, I had retired to the balcony (see photo at top of post) and was chilling in a comfy chair. All in all, the night was a fitting tribute to Tommy Comeaux, a former member of Beausoleil and long time supporter of cajun music.
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010
- Even Cowgirls Get The Blues * The Gaslight Anthem
- The King James Fakebook * Paleo
- Opposite of Adults * Chiddy Bang
- Block After Block * Matt & Kim
- A New Day * Scouting for Girls
- Never Love Again * Cherbourg
- Bar and the Beer * The White Buffalo
- Long Shadows * Josh Ritter
- Down By The Water * The Decemberists
- Love Song 1 * White Buffalo
- The Quick & the Dead * Bedouin Soundclash
- Hey Hey Hey * Michael Franti & Spearhead
- Chinatown * Kitten
- Let It Rain * Pat Anderson
- Radioactive [feat. the West Angeles Mass Choir] * Kings of Leon
- November Blue * The Avett Brothers
- The Tree (feat. Alela Diane) * Blitzen Trapper
- Every Night Is Friday Night (Without You) * Old 97's
- Shadow People * Dr. Dog
- Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks * The National
- Harlem River Blues * Justin Townes Earle
- Hægt, kemur ljósið * Ólafur Arnalds
Thursday, December 16, 2010
And the laundry room sink and hamper is complete!
The hamper is on the right. We stole this idea from an old friend's house. They are three hanging rods of canvass built into the unit on the right. The rods that hang the canvass come out so that you can dump the clothes or wash the canvas shelves themselves. Pretty neat.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Monday, December 13, 2010
Like pieces of a puzzle, the appliances are appearing. Microwave, warming drawer and disposal all installed today. Faucet was mounted as well but that will probably be removed when the back splash goes in. None of this is functional yet...but I have been told that the end of the week is a virtual guarantee...
Sunday, December 12, 2010
I wasn't able to play in the All Star game. Rather than play, I was the coach of the blue team which unfortunately did not come out on top. The reason I couldn't play is that immediately following the All Star game, our coed team (AFC) was playing in the finals. After having been unseated as reigning champion last year and after losing 3 games in the regular season this fall, we were seeded fourth in the playoffs. As a result, we had to claw our way through the quarters, semis and then finals, beating two of the three teams we lost to in the regular season in order to regain the title. We won the final today 2-0. Here's the team after the win!
All around, it was an awesome day for soccer despite a 20-30 mph wind and some rather cold weather. Now its time to look ahead to to look ahead to the spring season!
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Yesterday was a groundbreaking day for the kitchen project. Our counter tops came in and were installed (finally!). And at the same time, the AV guys were here hooking up the sound system. So in one fell swoop we have the counter tops installed and a full surround sound system hooked up with 2 zones (inside/outside) and connected to our Mac. Pretty awesome! The trained "kitchen project" reader will also notice the installation of our hardware since the last official update, completion of the painting and ceiling fan install. Next week the appliances go in, plumber comes out, and the kitchen bar hopefully gets installed. So close!
The cook top is not functional yet but it fits!
If you look closely, you can see the 3 holes in the counter top on the right side of the island. That is where the 3 stell pillars will be inserted to mount the bar on top of the island. Holding my breath to see if that design works.
Tough to appreciate this one without hearing it but all of the AV equipment is in that corner cabinet and you can see the iTunes library cover flow on the chimney mounted TV. Extremely excited about this setup.
Tuesday, December 07, 2010
Sunday, November 28, 2010
Jozy loves it when my wife's parents come into town - she gets multiple walks every day. These are from the Sunday trip to Girard park.
Surprisingly enough, getting Jozy to sit still as 30 some odd ducks swim around her was not that hard!
Saturday, November 27, 2010
The definition of "done": All installs done in the kitchen and family room. Scope creep into other rooms does not count as unfinished work.
Here's a random found photo from Arizona of my wife scientifically measuring a light for our dining room. This photo makes me laugh.
1. Why the owl hat was of particular interest to me - it would have matched Mabel's!
2. How cute Mabel looked all weekend all bundled up for the cold weather in Massachusetts.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
1. Basic in ceiling surround sound speakers.
2. Wall mounted TV. Here is the hole in the fireplace brick:
3. An Onkyo receiver tucked into this corner computer cabinet. I think the sub-woofer is going to tuck in at the base of this guy:
4. Our Mac is gonna be routed through this receiver, streaming video and sound to the TV. Pretty excited about this. I am hoping it gives me all the features like Pandora, NetFlix, etc. right to the TV through our network. Plus, I think we could just use the TV as a general screen to browse the web on. Hope this part works...
5. Outdoor speakers which can be on a different zone than the indoor sound. These are already up on the back porch, just not hooked up yet.
6. Speaker wire has been run to every room of the house. No speakers in those rooms yet though. While the wire can run, the money cannot. So those speakers will be coming later.
Advice needed if you have it: Our tray ceiling is causing a challenge with the surround sound placement so we are gonna need to make a decision related to if we should put the front speakers in the wall. Anyone ever seen that before? Look ok?
The trained eye will notice that the tile has grout at this point as well. Lots of little details are starting to fall into place these days. Subsequent post will cover some of those.
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Update: Forgot to mention that today is Jozy's birthday as well - since we don't know when she was born, we decided to pick 11/11 as her birthday since we got her as a birthday gift. So she turns 3 today!
So what should you know about 35? Well, among other things:
- 35 is a greeting often used in Croatia. It is used the same way as a word "respect" in some cultures. Pronounced tri'spet.
- In Ancient Rome, the age of a man in his prime, at which he was eligible to become a consul.
- The minimum age (in years) of candidates for election to the position of President of the United States, President of Ireland and President of Poland
- The passing grade in many Indian Colleges (out of 100). Scoring a 35 is known to many students as getting a "Stamp"
The photo above is from our trip to Phoenix last weekend where I was surprised by an early birthday cake from my brother, his wife and my new niece. Thanks guys! And thanks to all of my friends and family (immediate and extended) for your birthday wishes. And last but not least, thanks to my wife for putting up with this cranky old man! Your friendship, support and wisdom is a constant inspiration.
Finally, thanks to all the readers of BOB who check back in every once in a while. This has been a great place for me to share memories, music and random thoughts. Hopefully you get a similar enjoyment from reading that I get from sharing. Here's a quote that I thought sums up that sentiment and is a good way to close out my "Happy Birthday to me and Jozy" post.
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.
Tuesday, November 09, 2010
Go stream a slew of songs from the Thieving Irons at Sound Cloud.
Official web site
Sunday, November 07, 2010
Here is the original, although not the official video since I find the monsters in the original a little too creepy.
Friday, November 05, 2010
Totally excited about the cabinets going up today. So here's another photo taken from inside the kitchen that shows the peninsula. In the background you can see the two corner cabinets and at this point the crown molding is up around the cabinets as well (look in the upper right). I can see light at the end of the tunnel!