Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hitch

As I was walking off the field from high school practice yesterday, it felt like my lip was getting a little swollen. I assumed I had been bitten by a mosquito...but the itching never started. Instead, by the time I was about 2 minutes into the drive home, I looked like Will Smith in Hitch.

Ok. Well, not that bad. Just my lip was swollen. It was about the size of my nose and was covered with a ton of little white dots. To cure the ailment, I took some Benedryl and put ice on my lip. I wasn't sure how bad it was going to get so I tried to find out what it could possibly be by searching on Google. If you ever search Google for "little white dots on my lip" you should know that the only hits you'll get are related to Herpes. After some careful thinking, I decided I would rule out airborne Herpes or mosquito carried Herpes as a potential diagnosis. With no other potential ideas at hand, my friend "retired" suggested that it might be a brown recluse spider bite. However, I wasn't showing many symptoms related to a venomous spider bite so I ruled that out.

Unable to diagnose the issue, I took a second benadryl and had a beer. Wow. Combining those two was a bad idea. I went out to dinner with my wife and could not carry on a conversation that stayed in one single thread. Today, the swelling has gone down a little but it still feels like I am woozy from the benadryl. So I am taking it easy and getting some rest, working only occasionally. What a weird night. I wonder what bit me?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It is totally the clementines. I have had the Hitch lip (no white dots though) and have self-diagnosed myself with an emerging citrus allergy.

Unknown said...

Weird that we both had a similar post... :-)

Unfortunately, I didn't eat any citrus within the last day. But that sounds like a better guess then the spider or herpes theories.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking airborne herpes.

Unknown said...

maybe you guys are allergic to your job???

Unknown said...

It _is_ a weird coincidence...

Anonymous said...

so what was the end results?

karen said...

I know how you feel with the benadryl and beer combo. On our honeymoon I mixed midol and a big glass of wine! Mark later enjoyed a drive up the California coastline with his wife in a catatonic state.

Sorry I accused you of the one upper. I just found it funny that mark had such a hard time with the saw and you 've accomplished it with a 3" knife.

karen said...

I know how you feel with the benadryl and beer combo. On our honeymoon I mixed midol and a big glass of wine! Mark later enjoyed a drive up the California coastline with his wife in a catatonic state.

Sorry I accused you of the one upper. I just found it funny that mark had such a hard time with the saw and you 've accomplished it with a 3" knife.

Unknown said...

No worries Karen! Midol and wine on a honeymoon drive...sounds like a comedy movie in the making.