Sunday, February 03, 2013

A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain - Robert Olen Butler

I bought this book for my wife a year or so ago and randomly found it around Christmas time and decided to give it a shot. This is a collection of short stories which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993, each told by a different Vietnamese immigrant who has settled in Louisiana. While it is not my typical leisure reading fare, I can see why it received the recognition. Each short story has its own unique form of narrative poetry. Butler is an excellent writer and pulls you into a different world with ease. It's fiction, but not my typical kind. I thought I would just grab one or two short stories at a time and then take a break but just like eating popcorn...I failed. Looking for something a little different? This might be for you.


No comments: