Friday, June 14, 2013

Daniyal Mueenuddin - In Other Rooms, Other Wonders

I'll be honest, if you had told me I would enjoy a book of 8 interconnected short stories about feudal society in Pakistan this much, I would not have believed you. However, I would recommend this book to almost anyone. The characters, while developed quickly, provide a deep dive into many levels of Pakistani culture, touching on the lives of the power­ful Harouni family, its employees, man­agers, drivers, gardeners, cooks and servants. The stories are dark, manipulative and gritty. Essentially, they feel real. 

NYT Review clip: "...like watching a game of blackjack, the shrewd players calculating their way beyond their dealt cards in an attempt to beat the dealer. Some bust, others surrender. But in Mueenuddin's world, no one wins."



No comments: