Saturday, April 03, 2010

Jozy and the Anole

Beautiful day before Easter here in Lafayette so we spent some time out side doing some "yard work." Jozy's version of yard work consists of hunting. Here she is on the prowl for something in the cast iron. Wasn't sure what it was...


But whatever it was, she was transfixed...and intent on winning her prize.


Upon closer inspection I found this little guy. I've always thought these were geckos but as it turns out, I now think these are called Anoles. According to common knowledge "Anole lizards are frequently and incorrectly called chameleons or geckos, although they are not closely related to either of those groups. In fact, they are more closely related to iguanas." Regardless, this anole was prey, and just out of Jozy's reach.


Until that is Jozy made a pact with Carlee.


And the hunt resumed in earnest...until...


...Jozy snatched the anole from the cast iron as Carlee pulled back a leaf to see where he had run and hid. I refrained from taking a picture of the result. He may have lived...we are not sure. All I know is that I better be careful while I sleep since it appears I live with two ladies who like to hunt and kill.

3 comments:

Wayne LaBar said...

Hey!

That's not nice! This is how ecosystems get ruined. Man introduced animals. That lizard had as much of a right to live as your puppy. Now I will hold my thoughts on Carlee the hunter ...

Unknown said...

I must defend myself! :)

For the record, I was trying to educate Jozy... I did not intend for her to eat the subject of our learning.

I also set the anole free after Jozy attacked it. I say it lived. Lesson learned for all of us...

Unknown said...

"educate..." Yes, by reawakening her predatory instincts. Mission accomplished :-)