Sunday, October 17, 2010

World Cup 2022: A Voting Dillema

Feel free to call me anti-American but I've been looking at the competing bids for World Cup 2022 from Qatar and Japan and I'm thinking that...

1. If Japan wins and I get to see holographic versions of sporting events broadcast around the world to hundreds of stadiums, the invention of Star Trek like translators and the realization of some truly useful augmented reality apps...
2. If Qatar wins and I get to arrive to a game via water taxi or see stadiums that mimic ships and seashells or have their entire internal and external facade broadcasting on 420,000 square feet of some sort of futuristic jumbotron...

...then I just might be ok if the US doesn't get the tournament. In fact, if I was voting, my vote would now be in question. Sorry.

Watch a description of what Japan is pitching below. The introduction of this type of technology into sport just seems almost too good to pass up.



Here is a video showing 5 of Qatar's proposed stadiums. These are pretty amazing.


3 comments:

Wayne LaBar said...

Will

Having been to the Gulf several times I think you underestimate the difference

Unknown said...

Underestimate the difference between what? Sorry, not sure I understand the comment but definitely interested in your perspective since you have been there!

Timothy Sharlow said...

I find you posts on this matter to be very insightful. It poses a genuine query as to the evolution of soccer viewing. I am in full support of Qatar hosting the 2022 WC as having been to Japan, it is too crowded even now.