Sunday, November 28, 2010
Jozy loves it when my wife's parents come into town - she gets multiple walks every day. These are from the Sunday trip to Girard park.
Surprisingly enough, getting Jozy to sit still as 30 some odd ducks swim around her was not that hard!
Saturday, November 27, 2010
The definition of "done": All installs done in the kitchen and family room. Scope creep into other rooms does not count as unfinished work.
Here's a random found photo from Arizona of my wife scientifically measuring a light for our dining room. This photo makes me laugh.
1. Why the owl hat was of particular interest to me - it would have matched Mabel's!
2. How cute Mabel looked all weekend all bundled up for the cold weather in Massachusetts.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
1. Basic in ceiling surround sound speakers.
2. Wall mounted TV. Here is the hole in the fireplace brick:
3. An Onkyo receiver tucked into this corner computer cabinet. I think the sub-woofer is going to tuck in at the base of this guy:
4. Our Mac is gonna be routed through this receiver, streaming video and sound to the TV. Pretty excited about this. I am hoping it gives me all the features like Pandora, NetFlix, etc. right to the TV through our network. Plus, I think we could just use the TV as a general screen to browse the web on. Hope this part works...
5. Outdoor speakers which can be on a different zone than the indoor sound. These are already up on the back porch, just not hooked up yet.
6. Speaker wire has been run to every room of the house. No speakers in those rooms yet though. While the wire can run, the money cannot. So those speakers will be coming later.
Advice needed if you have it: Our tray ceiling is causing a challenge with the surround sound placement so we are gonna need to make a decision related to if we should put the front speakers in the wall. Anyone ever seen that before? Look ok?
The trained eye will notice that the tile has grout at this point as well. Lots of little details are starting to fall into place these days. Subsequent post will cover some of those.
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Update: Forgot to mention that today is Jozy's birthday as well - since we don't know when she was born, we decided to pick 11/11 as her birthday since we got her as a birthday gift. So she turns 3 today!
So what should you know about 35? Well, among other things:
- 35 is a greeting often used in Croatia. It is used the same way as a word "respect" in some cultures. Pronounced tri'spet.
- In Ancient Rome, the age of a man in his prime, at which he was eligible to become a consul.
- The minimum age (in years) of candidates for election to the position of President of the United States, President of Ireland and President of Poland
- The passing grade in many Indian Colleges (out of 100). Scoring a 35 is known to many students as getting a "Stamp"
The photo above is from our trip to Phoenix last weekend where I was surprised by an early birthday cake from my brother, his wife and my new niece. Thanks guys! And thanks to all of my friends and family (immediate and extended) for your birthday wishes. And last but not least, thanks to my wife for putting up with this cranky old man! Your friendship, support and wisdom is a constant inspiration.
Finally, thanks to all the readers of BOB who check back in every once in a while. This has been a great place for me to share memories, music and random thoughts. Hopefully you get a similar enjoyment from reading that I get from sharing. Here's a quote that I thought sums up that sentiment and is a good way to close out my "Happy Birthday to me and Jozy" post.
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.
Tuesday, November 09, 2010
Go stream a slew of songs from the Thieving Irons at Sound Cloud.
Official web site
Sunday, November 07, 2010
Here is the original, although not the official video since I find the monsters in the original a little too creepy.
Friday, November 05, 2010
Totally excited about the cabinets going up today. So here's another photo taken from inside the kitchen that shows the peninsula. In the background you can see the two corner cabinets and at this point the crown molding is up around the cabinets as well (look in the upper right). I can see light at the end of the tunnel!
Thursday, November 04, 2010
Here's a couple of fun photos from our visit to see our good friend Karen out in Tucson. We stopped by her art studio and one of the artists there had a small exhibit that we thought was pretty cool. Thus, the only thing that made sense to do after admiring it was to participate.
Picking out pendant lights has been a bit of a challenge. There are just so many cool choices that you become paralyzed. Finally settled on one today though. It is made by Bruck and is called Bolero. Above is an image from their website, and you can read about it here in case you are interested in the specs. There will be two of these hanging over the bar area.
Wednesday, November 03, 2010
One of two corner cabinets:
This is the top to a desk that we had built.
Drawers and doors:
Jozy has given them the seal of approval.
Tuesday, November 02, 2010
Check out this billboard that is on the border between US and Canada near Vancouver, BC - sponsored by the federal government, it advertises clean air. I never knew I would consider a billboard a tourist site but I would put this on my list for any trip to this area.