Monday, February 20, 2006

Hats Off


Starbucks was out of lids today. It wouldn't bother me all that much except for the fact that there seems to be a continual inventory issue occurring there. We only have one real Starbucks in town. The rest are fake - being that they are in Target or B&N. There is a difference you know, and yes, some people can tell. The people who can tell most likely frequent Starbucks more than 5 times a week and I would say that my 10 trips (on an average week) puts me in that category. I've graduated to a triple shot drink at this point. The baristas like to point it out sometimes. There are probably very few addictions that people can call you out on and you can just shrug them off and laugh with them...

I went to go find a nice graphic to give you, themed to Starbucks of course, and found this little gem on their website. Interesting to see what the image was called: "hp_promo_espressoDating.gif" In general, it's little details like this that are small windows into places you don't normally get to see - usually because people gloss over details and don't turn on their inner editor. In this case, there is no lack of attention to detail here. This particular example is just a small token of the lifestyle that has become a piece of Starbucks marketing. Because, amen, Starbucks has actually teamed with Yahoo personals and gone into on-line dating. They even have a dating guide. You can find more info here.

The inventory problem can range from a lack of vanilla, lack of sleeves, and now a lack of lids. I think coffee may be the next chip to fall and I won't be shocked. I guess that is just some damn good expectation management, or lack of attention to detail. Hats off.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot drink from Starbucks cups with lids. I *always* spill when attempting to drink from a Starbucks cup with lid, so usually I attempt to suck down enough (hard to do since it is usually very hot) so that I don't need their damn lids. For the record, I do not seem to have this problem with any other to-go cup/lid. Perhaps Starbucks knows that I do not like their coffee and prefer the local joints.

Cheerleader Voted Out said...

We use terms to differentiate between our stores. We have Target Bell and Pizza Bell. TarBucks and BarBucks spring to mind

Unknown said...

Is it weird that I have a tehnique that prevents lid leaks? Oh well. By the evening, the lids were back and the triple latte was just fine. ...TarBucks...I like that.

GoinStyle said...

welcome to the blogosphere!

I post more often on livejournal but there is some blogspot content if you... oh that's right you're not into history

Cheers