Monday, February 20, 2006

The Killer Angels

All I can see is black and white
And white and pink with blades of blue
That lay between the words I think on a page
I was meaning to send to you
I couldn't tell if it'd bring my heart

The way I wanted when I started
Writing this letter to you

- jeff tweedy, wilco

I'm reading a good book these days. Can't say that I am a big civil war buff - or that I am a civil war buff, or that I am a history buff for that matter. In fact, I probably watch less history channel then the average person. In fact, these days, I don't watch that channel at all...My lack of history channel viewing may be due to the fact that I would no longer consider myself an insomniac (I used to blame the fact that I appeared to be a workaholic on insomnia, but I have finally come to grips with the fact that I am not either an insomniac or a workaholic).

A narcoleptic may be more accurate. Head on pillow, no matter how much coffee, and I am out. The history channel seems to be one of the insomniac's medicine of choice...this book surely is not. "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara will be on my highly recommended list for quite some time. It is a historical fiction novel that describes the battle of Gettysburg. Not a subject matter I would consider interesting off the bat. But with Robert E. Lee as one of the main characters, and with insights into a key moment of our country's history at the center of the plot, this book is right there. Recommended for history buffs, insomniacs, narcoleptics, and workaholics.

partial non sequitur: this is the first letter to you, so I thought the tweedy quote was perfect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...I'm still deep in it, and have been unable to devote the time I would like. When I am done, I have a feeling I might be looking into more of the same at some point. Maybe I'll check out the prequel/sequel...