Saturday, February 25, 2006

...it is much more serious than that

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.” - Bill Shankly

Update: A few days ago I mentioned a local high school soccer game that I attended. The Lafayette High Mighty Lions won that game and were headed for the State semifinals. During the game, an altercation resulted in the coach being red carded. Cops came out, an odd calm chaos ensued. I had heard rumors that the ref and other folks were arrested. I think these were all false rumors, although some charges may have been filed. What happened next is the real travesty.

Turns out, the team ended up having to forfeit every game of the season due to coaching violations. The team was 32-1 and was ranked number 1 in the state. The coaching violation had to do with the proper certification of the team's trainer. You can read the story and disappointment here. I wish someone could have come up with a better solution than punishing a team of kids for the mistake of the coaching staff and school administration. There are 17 seniors on that team whose season just ended - and it did not end due to a game being lost.

No comments: