Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do it like Bobby

When I have days off from work I sometimes like to spend a bit of time experimenting with a new recipe. I have never had lamb shanks before, so this past Monday seemed like a perfect opportunity. Somehow, I was able to convince my wife that this was a good idea (she is not the biggest fan of lamb).

Step 1 - I found this recipe from Bobby Flay. I figure if I am eating something that is brand new to me, this is a name I can trust.

Step 2 - Follow Bobby's steps. These all pretty much worked out ok. I seared the shanks first (these things look like they are out of a Flinstone's dinner). Here is a photo post searing.


Then I added the carrots, celery and onion. Caramelized those guys.



Added roasted garlic, a bunch of port and some red wine and let them cook in the oven for about 2.5 hours. The fact that this recipe had port wine in it was another factor that tipped the scales. I cooked the toasted orzo as well (another first for me), roasted some tomatoes and threw in some broccoli for color.

The end result was fantastic, fall off the bone lamb with a great flavor and leftovers for the next day.


 You don't need to take my word for it. My wife, not the lamb fan, has said that she really enjoyed it and is ready to have it again. I'd recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a great, and pretty simple lamb dish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good lamb shanks is one of my favorites - invite me over any time or perhaps my birthday dinner

Anonymous said...

I have to hand it to you. Making lamb was brave and it looks fantastic. Not my fav. meat in the world, but if you made it , I would try it.