Monday, March 05, 2007

Cajun Signs: We Buy Guns

If you grew up in a sportsman's paradise, signs like this probably don't even register for you. However, being raised in a family where hunting was not a part of life, I always find this sign interesting. The text under the "We Buy Guns" obviously changes with whatever special is running. Sometimes it provides additional reason for me to pause and consider the different worlds that people grow up in. Obviously, in the case above, the subtext is completely unremarkable.

My neighbor from Jersey, SINEDDIE, is from a hunting family so I know that signs like this aren't actually cajun. I know that this sign is remarkable to me purely because I was not raised in a family where hunting and guns were part of daily life. And finally, to be fair, I have a little bit more experience with hunting than I let on. In fact, I've had my share of run-ins with deer carcases and assault rifles more than once. But those are stories for another time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched that same marquee for years, wondering if there would ever be anything to entice me to walk into that store.

After almost 8 years, they put finally something up that made me walk in the door "Camouflage bikinis and lingerie, now 30% off!!"

I had to go in to see it for myself. The bikinis and lingerie were just as bizarre as they sound.

Unknown said...

Fascinating. That would have made for a great picture. Glad to know I am not the only one that this sign holds power over.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

assalt riffles?
not here dude...unless you have some hidden past in Troy!

Anonymous said...

what about that sling shot thing?