Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Urine Samples: Free Kahn

I played soccer for the RPI Engineers for 4 years when I was in college. We had an awesome team. Good enough to reach the NCAA tournament a couple times and good enough to win some games in it. After a NCAA game, players are randomly selected for drug tests and are forced to give urine samples. I was one of the lucky winners one year. The unfortunate thing is that after running for 90 minutes, I had no fluids left in my body and could not produce. The NCAA anticipates this and they give you buckets full of juice and other liquids that you can drink. So I started drinking. A couple hours later, I was successful. One problem though, if you drink all that liquid, your urine is so diluted that they cannot use it as an adequate sample. I stopped drinking. That night, I ended up in a hotel with NCAA officials standing over me and waiting until I had to take a leak. Oh, and by the way, we lost that game so we weren't even advancing. Eventually though, I succeeded. Never once did I throw a sample at them.

Oliver Kahn did. I feel his pain. Free Kahn.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i never knew that story...
so are you pro or con w/ samples

Unknown said...

I understand the need for them so I cannot say I am against them. It is unfortunate that people would use performance enhancement drugs but they do. My story is probably a rare case...and it completely sucked, especially since we lost.

rc said...

Ah yes, good times back in the North Country of New York. A 5 hour bus ride home after being thoroughly beaten. One thing you forgot to mention is all the quality time you spent with our resident Left Coast wonder Aaron Cruz. Now there is a blast from the past.

Unknown said...

Yup. I wasn't the only one with the performance problem. Cruz was right there with me. Good times.

Anonymous said...

Kahn is god!

Cat4 said...

no matter what the story, it makes me reflect on my own time at the 'tute and it just gets me all misty and choked up inside...