Thursday, March 29, 2007

New England Revolution vs. New Orleans Shell Shockers


Update: Flickr set with more photos can be found here.

While most US Soccer fans were watching the MNT's inability to adjust to Guatemala's defensive posture, I was in Baton Rouge watching the New England Revolution slaughter the New Orleans Shell Shockers (PDL team). The Rev's won 4-0 and pretty much dominated. Even though their opponent was weaker then them, I couldn't help but be impressed with the speed of play at times. The primary difference between a MLS team and a PDL team? First touch was awesome. Speed of play was 3* faster.

Game coverage on the Rev's site can be read here. I think this guy Cristman is going to be interesting to watch. The guy is big, fast, and seems to have a knack to put them away (in contrast to the forwards in the other game folks were watching...). He had 34 career goals at UVa and has a history with younger US national teams as a former member of the U.S. Under-17 and Under-18 programs. He also played the U.S. Under-23 Team this past February in Japan. He was involved in 3 out of 4 goals last night.

BTW, Steve Ralston is an awesome midfielder. I never appreciated him until I saw him in person. Great player.

Here are some photos that I took during the game ( I may upload some more to Flickr and will post an update if I do). The assistant referee in the one shot is my buddy Mark. Congrats to him on getting to ref at this level.

Shalrie Joseph warming up pre-game.


Reis, Ralston, and Mark


Ralston passing in the midfield. This guy never stopped running.

Reis on a goal kick.

No comments: