Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Lysander Spooner

For some reason the US Postal Office locations in Lafayette have removed two major convenient innovations introduced within the last couple of years.

1. We used to have a self service mailing station where you could weigh packages and buy postage for those packages without having to wait in the long customer service line. Not many people used it. And thus, the USPS got rid of it rather than socialize their customers on its use and promote greater adoption (e.g. self check-in kiosks at the airport). I am not sure if these package stations were eliminated around the country or just in my town. If you have one in your local Post Office, feel free to rub it in.

2. We used to be able to buy stamps without waiting in line as well. But now they have officially removed the vending machine from all Post Offices in Lafayette. I wish I knew why. The long lines at the Post Office are what keep me away from it. Removing the tools that help customers avoid long delays will simply keep me away more.

Stamps and postage are the primary source of revenue for the USPS So making it harder to buy them seems pretty counterintuitive to me. Can you say Lysander Spooner?

6 comments:

pele1410 said...

This is what happens with government controlled monopolies. They don't care.

But this must have just happened. I went to the PO off of Verot a couple weeks ago and bought stamps in the automated machine. Seems like it was embedded in the wall, so I don't see how they could have removed it easily.

Anonymous said...

Arggh! How annoying!

I was just going to suggest trying the P.O. off of Bertrand, b/c I remember they had the self-serve weighing station. It was great because you could use it after the counters were closed, and so you didn't have to worry about rushing to the PO at an ungodly hour.

Anyhow, have you tried the Bertrand PO to see if they've shut down their self service as well?

Unknown said...

that was our first stop! everything is gone...!

Anonymous said...

Arggh!!!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, they don't have those options in the P.O. around here either. One of my biggest frustrations when I first got here. It makes it hard to send out submissions.

Anonymous said...

Carlee, why don't you write one of your famous letters to the management telling them how convenient those services are and asking them to reinstate them?

Anonymous said...

Add to the list of issues with Bertrand!!

I sent @ 5 checks out 2.5 months ago so far only 1 has arrived at its destination!!!!

These guys add new meaning to "the check is in the mail"!!