Friday, September 05, 2008

You Can't Win an Occupation

(Update: Added picture of the protester courtesy of comment and reference from BOB reader Pele1410. Thanks Pele!)

Politics rarely makes an appearance on this site but last night's RNC speech by McCain was pretty interesting to me. I am not sure where my vote will fall in the upcoming election, but I think that McCain has a tougher road to climb in terms of winning my vote than Obama does.

John McCain's nomination acceptance speech did impress me though. And I fully admit that I did not expect to be impressed either. However, I like the theme of service that he embraced in the speech and think that it will work well for him in the campaign. Of course, there were a lot of apparent contradictions throughout the convention including the mockery of Obama's Community Organization work by other speakers that did not sit well. Also, I thought the introductory video prior to his speech alternated between being extremely effective to borderline offensive due to potential hubris (particularly when the narrative voice suggested that he was spared war time casualty because God has/had greater plans for McCain in mind). All in all though, it was an impressive performance.

The big surprise for me (and it probably should not have been) was the interruptions from various protesters during the speech. The most prominent was a man wearing the t-shirt Iraq Veterans Against the War. He was holding a sign up that read: You Can't Win an Occupation. McCain handled the interruptions relatively well. I thought the crowd looked intent on attacking them though. It takes a lot of guts (regardless of right or wrong) to stand up in front of that convention and interrupt it like that. Kind of like standing in the middle of a bunch of Red Sox fans and cheering for the Yankees.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't stomach it, but I'm giddy for Obama. I flipped past and literally could not watch or listen. I disagree with nearly every plank in the Republican platform. I used to be a fan of McCain, but he seems to have completely lost his maverick reputation in my eyes.

I think Obama has the skills and I think that his ability to inspire is necessary and important both to us Americans here at home and for our reputation in the world community.

I respect McCain's service both in war and in government. If this was 2000 McCain, I might be okay with the idea of a McCain presidency. I'm not comfortable with a 2008 McCain and Palin's religious conservatism scares the bejesus (don't think I've ever seen that attempted to be spelled) out of me with a 72 year old multiple cancer survivor president.

Unknown said...

"...Palin's religious conservatism scares the bejesus (don't think I've ever seen that attempted to be spelled) out of me with a 72 year old multiple cancer survivor president."

I have heard similar thoughts from other people. As of right now though, I don't know much about her. Sounds like it will be worth checking out.

Anonymous said...

If you did not see it, Palin's speech is worth checking out on YouTube.

I will refrain from political comment as I am obviously in the minority of your readers on this site.

Koolade is dangerous regardless of which extreme you are drinking from...

pele1410 said...

Picture of said protester.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I was looking for that...

Unknown said...

Retired: Were you referring to the kool-aid that you drink? Or the kool-aid that Palin has consumed?

Anonymous said...

Cute...

More specifically the Koolade from the extreme left. Although the extreme religious right is scary as well. The middle road is the best place to be. Seems to me only one candidate has a record of running down the middle.
(Actually only one candidate has a record... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with retired.

Unknown said...

"I will refrain from political comment as I am obviously in the minority of your readers on this site."

For a moment there I thought someone had stolen your UID/PWD. But I see that things are back to normal and that you have weighed in with more detail...

"Actually only one candidate has a record"

...and quite frankly, I am impressed that you recognize, despite your republican upbringing, that Palin's lack of a record is concerning on a ticket that includes two candidates.

Anonymous said...

Spi Spin Spin!
We are talking about the Presidential candidate here. Don't try to deflect his lack of experience and decision making ability (voting present 100+ times)by attacking Palin's experience. She has a record as an executive for a city and a state. (Don't tell me they don't count because they are small! Bill Clinton was the Governor of Arkansas!)
More importantly she has shown (like McCain) she has the "b@lls" to take on her own party when necessary. This country needs more leaders who are not slaves to the left or right idealogs.

Unknown said...

You're funny. Do you realize you are contradicting your own argument? ;-)

If I am not mistaken, Obama's decision making approach is generally known (by non-partisan observers)to be based on compromise. I am not sure your impression of him as being a hard core liberal is 100% accurate.

"Everybody who has worked with him comments on his ability to forge relations with Republicans and conservatives. He prefers compromise and conciliation to confrontation."

See interesting article from which this quote is taken here.

Like I said earlier, I have yet to make a decision on the candidates and am still trying to understand their platforms. I thought this article was pretty interesting because it definitely presents some of Obama's weaknesses - some of which I think you are trying to speak to. However, I am not sure this impression of being a liberal activist is truly accurate.

Does your candidate have any weaknesses?