Sunday, April 09, 2006

ABC's

When my company moved from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Outlook, I was a skeptic. This was mainly because Lotus Notes was the first and only email program I ever really used (for about 5 years). Really. I'm not kidding.
I am now a convert and continue to find new ways to use Outlook more efficiently. My biggest efficiency tips are:
  • Use of follow-up flags. Each color indicates a particular type of follow-up item. It doesn't leave the inbox until the flag is checked off. I use the inbox as a to-do list.
  • Use of colors. I flag emails from particular people/groups in various colors. These colors automatically attract my attention and help certain emails get answered quickly.
I read an interesting post this weekend over at Email Overloaded about a way to organize your Outlook folders in non-alphabetical order. I have often found the alphabetical order to be annoying and just might add this little tweak to my email organization.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anything is an improvement over Notes. The one thing that Outlook has going for it in our workplace is the integration between calendar and email.

Unknown said...

For some reason, my calendar reminders are showing up late all the time these days. I have been late for a few meetings because of it. This ever happen to you?