Monday, April 24, 2006

Howl - The Last Gasp

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machin-ery of night…"
-from Howl by Allen Ginsberg

So this is the last time I'll mention that 18 mile bike ride and I will only do so in order to share a another small set of memories from my trip. I picked these photos as I thought they each had something interesting going on in them.
  • (above) Really nice black and white of the Golden Gate Bridge.
  • Shot of the Bay Bridge while riding on the cable car to the bike rental place. I love this photo as it really captures the city well. See all those wires? The hill. The backdrop of the bridge. The colors of the apartments. It's crowded. Noisy. This is one of my favorite shots from the trip.
  • Stopping to pose on the bridge as I was cruising on the bike ride.
  • Ok. This last one is not from the ride but I need to mention that I stopped by the City Lights bookstore. This is the book store where Jack Kerouac and the other beats hung out, down in the basement, chatting it up about poetry and life. What a cool experience to loiter there, shop for books, and just soak it in. This was a huge highlight for me as I was a huge fan of the beats in my college years. City Lights was the original publisher of Howl by Allen Ginsberg - which if you haven't read, is well worth the time. Click here for a formatted version of this work. This photo is of a tongue in cheek poster within the store.
(click on any photo for a larger version)

No comments: