Sunday, May 28, 2006

US vs. Latvia and Venezuela: Send Them Packing


So this weekend was all about watching soccer, unpacking, and packing again.
  • Soccer: US vs Venezuela & US vs Latvia. We won both games and in both games (2-0; 1-0) the team looked strong. I have to say though, I am huge fan of Dempsey and Convey. We play a much more exciting style of soccer with Convey and Dempsey on the field than when other veteran players are on the field. On the other hand, we are more methodical and possession oriented against Latvia (when some of the veterans were starting). I think the US team needs to find a middle ground. They need to breed and encourage the creativity and explosiveness of Convey and Dempsey, yet maintain the possession game elsewhere on the field. Right now, we are 'either-or', rather than what I would consider a deadly mix.
  • Unpacking: The boxes never end at the new house. But I see light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Packing: Unpack on Friday, repack on Sunday. Week 3 of travel starts tomorrow at 4:30 am. Happy Memorial Day to me.
Less than 20 days until we fly to Germany. Kick off time approaches and I am tempted to suggest we send the veterans packing and bring in the youth on the squad for the starting line up against the Czechs. I think the heroes (if any) of this world cup just may be the youngsters.

2 comments:

rc said...

I was never a big Convey fan, probably becuase he was so hyped in the MLS, and I never felt he lived up to that. His time in England must be doing him well becuase he is a much improved player, and presents a threat when he is attacking from the left. I have been disappinted with Beasley so far. He has not been a regular starter for PSV and I think his game sharpness is not there yet. One thing that some bloggers have pointed out is that Convey does not play defense well. I have noticed this myself in the past few matches. The kid does hustle though.

How do you keep Dempsey off the field? He is more willing than any other US player to take defenders on 1 on 1. he is also a bigger player for the midfield, and could give smaller guys some matchup problems.

Reyna needs to be healthy to control the midfield. I agree he has lost his flashiness, but he does have the natural ability to dictate the pace of a game, and does not turn the ball over a tremendous amount.

Unknown said...

Convey looks impressive these days. How can you keep either of these guys (Convery or Dempsey) off the field? Unfortunately, I believe one of the 2 will not start...