Saturday, April 05, 2008

Lafayette Red Light Cameras and Speed Vans


I've decided to educate myself on red light cameras and speed vans. Lafayette has become one of the many communities in the country that has adopted these tools (via a company called Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc) and there has been a decent amount of public outcry regarding them. Based on my initial research thus far tonight, the opponents appear to be using phrases such as "unconstitutional," law enforcement for profit," and "big brother." All three phrases resonate with me, but the big question is whether or not they have any substance after you get past the bumper sticker level of the argument. The flip side of the issue (and a big part of me falls on the flip side), argues that if these tools make the roads safer then we should figure out a way to use them.

So tonight I am reading and watching various news stories and studies related to red light cameras and speed vans. So far I am not too impressed. One of the biggest opponents of the use of these tools in Lafayette is Todd Elliott, a local radio talk show host. Unfortunately, most of the footage I have seen of Todd is not overly impressive. Despite describing himself as eloquent, I have yet to see an example. Unfortunately, I find him lacking well formed logical arguments when I hear him speak on the issue. As a newcomer to the debate, I find his approach has actually made me doubt the credibility of the argument. However, it is important to note that I have yet to make up my mind. Just because the messenger or message delivery is flawed does not mean that message is. Thus, I will keep reading.

Do you have these speed vans or red light cameras where you live? What do you think about them?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just mailed the $100 check out today...for speeding at the University camera (by Julien's)

Unknown said...

Passed that intersection today and we mourned the loss of your $100.

Anonymous said...

I also heard NJ being able to track your speed between tolls when you use your easy-pass. If you get to each toll (aka check point) too quickly, it is assumed you are speeding. I am not 100% they can issue a ticket, but I have heard that they "track" such data.