Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ground

Around 7:15 this morning, when my wife was in the shower, an electrical shock traveled through the pipes in the house and shocked her as she adjusted the water. She is ok - so don't worry. No harm done. But it certainly was alarming when I thought about it afterwards. The power went out at the same time throughout the house. So something definitely went wrong somewhere...

Afterwards (at around 8 AM), cable, internet and phone were down and the utility guys were outside so I went out to investigate. Turns out "something blew through the line" and burnt out "that porcelain thingy" on the telephone pole behind our house. I asked them about the shock that happened and subsequently there was a party with a bunch of old Cajun electricians and Jozy in our backyard. Turns out we have no "ground" from our incoming electricity lines.

"You should get that fixed. It will protect you."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"You should get that fixed."...Seems like sage advice. I'm surprised that didn't get caught on inspection when you bought the place.

Anonymous said...

So thats why my power went out this morning!!!

Unknown said...

The utility guys said the same thing: "I'm surprised they didn't catch that in the inspection!" Made me feel real warm and fuzzy.

Anonymous said...

VERY DANGEROUS!
FIX that ASAP!!!
-ED

rc said...

Seriously, that is not something to put on the back burner. It is only a day's worth of work for an electrician, but absolutely necessary...