Monday, June 09, 2008

How do you pronounce Tommy Smyth's last name?

After watching a few days of Euro 2008, the current question of the day is:

How do you pronounce Tommy Smyth's name?

I have been using a long "I" ever since I started listening to him. But then ESPN2 covers Euro 2008 and I heard them say "Smith" a few times today as I watched Italy get thrashed by the Netherlands. What do you think? How do you pronounce Tommy's last name?

Here is what Wikipedia thinks.

By the way, Italy got trounced 3-0. This makes me a happy camper.

8 comments:

rc said...

I guess a lot of Italy's players were 28-29 at the 06 World Cup. That core is now 30-31 and some are speculating that may make a difference when going against more youthful teams. Oh, and Materazzi is a hack...

pele1410 said...

I've always pronounced it like the American Smith. I've never heard it with a long "I".

rc said...

He's a hack, but I have also pronounced w/ a long "I"...

Now Julie Foudy on the other hand, not only is she good in front of the camera and is a very good analyst of the game...she is VERY easy on the eyes...

Unknown said...

I find Foudy a little annoying...not sure why. Not as annoying as Smyth though.

pele1410 said...

I'm not a fan of Foudy either. Atleast Tommy has passion, and some awesome phrases:

"Lebouf is so far up the field, he will need to call a taxi to get back in time."

"Left-back may be Roberto Carlos' address, but you never find him at home there."

"The ball is turning away, but if it turns itself in, it's in the back of the net."

Anonymous said...

It's officially a short I. i clicked on soccernet.com this morning and the video in the corner is Tommy himself pronouncing his own name!

Unknown said...

He annoys me, and he's probably mis-pronouncing his own last name. I'm sticking with the long i.

Daniel Smyrh said...

I am a Smyth. My grandfather Smyth was from Northern Ireland in the early 1920's. He pronounced his family name with the long i or ay sound, as I still do today.

Good enough for me

I tell people, "The Irish were too poor to buy a vowel"! Oppressed as they were by the English.