Wednesday, February 11, 2009

US Defeats Mexico 2-0....barely


There were some major close calls in the US vs Mexico game tonight, the latest World Cup qualifier for our boys in the stars and stripes. Despite those close calls though, we came out on top 2-0! Gotta love Bradley with the two goals and his effort all around. Great game by him. And I may be out voted on this, but Hejduk looked good! And let's put it this way, I would rather he be on my squad then theirs and he sure as hell didn't spear the other team's keeper with his cleats.

Poor Sven...his career might just be over, or at least his career at the helm of the Mexican national team.

6 comments:

pele1410 said...

Barely? What game did you watch?

Their best chance (the scramble before the red card) would never have counted. The player laying on the ground that hit the post was clearly offside.

After the scare in the first 3 minutes or so, US dominated the first half. And until the last 15 minutes or so we dominated the second half.

As for Sven, I hear Portsmouth are looking.

rc said...

I agree w/ Pele, I have not seen the US possess the ball that well in a while. I stopped short of calling it "possession soccer", but we were making the Mexican's heads spin watching some of the one touch, it was actually fun to watch.

Frankie had a solid game, no doubt, and even got a few two-footers in there for good measure. I can never question that guy's work rate, he just never stops running, and some of his flank attacks were threatening...right until he had to get the ball across...

Michael Bradley scores garbage goals...and I love it. Goal scoring is an art, and you take them when ever you can get them. He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and that is not luck, it is a talent.

At least Special 1 TV will be interesting this week regarding Sven!

Unknown said...

No doubt, we held the ball well and prb dominated the possession statistic. My reference to barely is a recognition of the close chances that you reference. Mexico should have scored on those, and if they did, it would be a completely different game. So I stand by my phrase...the score of that game hinged on that one save by Howard 2 minutes in. And in my opinion, Mexico should have scored right there. It was a poor shot.

Anonymous said...

Great pick! I would hat to be the guy Gooch is staring down!!

Unknown said...

Amen. Gooch is one scary dude.

pele1410 said...

Not the first time Gooch has stared down Marquez. Remember Houston?