Wednesday, July 05, 2006

France Advances (defeating Portugal 1-0)

France advances! This was another great game to watch. With the game winning goal by Zidane in the first half off of a PK. Henry was taken out in the box and the foul looked legit to me no matter how many replays I saw. I have to admit that Portugal owned the second half, except for the first 5 minutes or so. France's defense was a wall despite the pressure, and quality opportunities were few and far between.

We were so close to having to watch Cristiano Ronaldo roll around on the ground, cry like a baby, step over the ball 6 times in a row with no result or purpose, and make weird smacking faces with his lips for another 90 minutes. Phew. I will give him his necessary props though, he was ripping down the French sideline today and looked very dangerous. Thank God he never converted. Like I mentioned before, an Italy vs. Portugal final would have been too much for me to bear - the diving and acting would have been over the top.

So we all get to watch Zidane for one more game. Let the magic happen.

Allez les blues.

2 comments:

rc said...

Not that I am a big fan of the French, but I must say, I think we can add Zidane's name when we talk about Pele and Maradona. The guy does not seem to have lost much, maybe a bit of quickness, but he makes up for it is poise and consistency. It is amazing that he has been able to lift this team on his back. It also helps to have a Henry to feed balls too...

Unknown said...

What's interesting about the Henry connection is that I think Zidane has only ever assisted just one of his goals...if I can believe those quacks on ESPN.