Monday, November 05, 2007

Battle of the Unbeatens

No....not the Colts vs. Pats, which ended in a tremendously depressing win by the Patriots, but AFC vs. the Monarchs in the adult co-ed league. This past weekend we played the only other undefeated team in our league.

It was more frustrating than watching Manning's receivers drop the ball. The majority of the game was spent in the other team's half as we clearly dominated all over the field. The other team played a long ball game and left 8 players on their defensive side, sending through balls to two players up top. Unfortunately, it was effective and we were down 1-0 most of the game - unable to penetrate the 8 man wall that was in their box. Finally, with about 15 minutes left, we broke the ice. And oddly enough (as my wife pointed out to me afterwards, "you don't normally score goals like that"), it was me that scored the goal with a shot from about 25 yards out. I decided to introduce goal celebrations to the league and pulled a Cantona.

The game ended 1-1 - leaving both teams undefeated and hungry for a rematch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen that soccer game! You have to beat them next time, you just have to!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and. . . GO PATS!!!

rc said...

Hillarious. I would have paid for the flight down to see the "Cantona celebration". Coincidentally, I was playing soccer w/ my 8 month old son, and I actually was able to "nutmeg" him once (well, kind of, under his belly as he was crawling), at which point, I also pulled a Cantona, as my wife entered the room, and said "what the hell are you doing?". To that I responded, "I know, I can't believe I am that good either". I was left cracking up, while my wife left the room mumbling "loser". She may be right.

Unknown said...

Whiskey: I think the Pats might have lost that game if the Colts had their full roster...I am waiting for the rematch.

RC: That's a funny story. Sounds like you need to teach your son to contain in a diagonal stance, staggered legs...helps prevent the meg.