Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Romantic?

I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't.
F. Scott Fitzgerald



I was going to call the title of this post "Sentimental". As I did some random linking through the web related to the this term, I opted for "Romantic" with the question mark caveat. In truth, I cannot decipher the F. Scott Fitzgerald quote above and if you have insight, I'm all ears.

The inspiration for the debate was the two items you see in the photograph above.

What you are looking at is the tie that my father in law wore when I married my wonderful wife, and his old glasses case. The last month or so I have been using the glasses case and today was the first day that I wore this tie. The glasses case seemed like a great way for me to have a constant reminder with me every day of a man who meant so much to my wife and mother in law, and who took me in as a member of his family. For that, I will always be thankful.

If you didn't know Chuck, know that he kept slippers for years, wore sweatshirts till threadbare, and almost never wasted need on items that were not truly needed. Thus the glasses case. I tend to think of it as carrying a small piece of this spirit with me. Now, for those of you who don't know me to well, I just bought two pairs of new sandals this past month so it has not rubbed off on me all that much...but that's ok with me. The memories I am left with and those that come back to me when I reflect on these two items are priceless.

3 comments:

Timothy Sharlow said...

A favorite of posts' in my time as a BOB reader. First and foremost, these habiliments show a great deal of attention to style and class. A man of class is a man of greatness. Great is a man who conquers 1,000 men, but the greatest man is he who conquers himself. You were certainly privileged to be in his presence. Perhaps the greatest honor was permission to marry his daughter. Carlee, despite the things that have transpired, please remember, you are not allowed to ride in the same vehicle that Jeremy Cart is driving.

Anonymous said...

Brought a tear to my eye - very beautifully stated.

Anonymous said...

perhaps a romantic person likes life to be fresh and ever changing; a sentimental person wants what is to remain as is. one is simply adventurous,the other not. however, but both want love.
-Just my thoughts
ED