Monday, February 05, 2007

A Normal "c" Pronounced "ts"

"I'm not one of the big names in England. I'm like a Mr X."
- Tomas Rosicky

Saturday I had the chance to watch Rosicky and the Gunners again. I love watching Arsenal play. Their style of soccer is a great blend between the direct English style of attack combined with intricate complete football. They thread the needle like no other EPL team. They hunt systematically for the perfect finish. It really is a joy to watch.

That said. I had to confront the ordeal of listening to the English announcer bastardize his name yet again. 15 minutes in, I couldn't take it any more so I did some research. It turns out that I am wrong on this one...assuming we can believe what we read on the internet. Here is what I found out from Football365.com.

"...in Czech there's a 'normal' c pronounced 'ts' and a 'c-with-a-little-squiggle-at-the-bottom' which is pronounced 'ch'. The c in Rosicky is of the former kind, so the correct pronunciation is Rositski...However the best way to pronounce Rosicky is actually 'Hobbit-faced little cheat.'"

The source for this correction is found here.

2 comments:

rc said...

This actually makes me happy, since my wife told me to calm down as I was screaming and cursing at the TV every time he said his name. I can now watch the games in peace. Good Find.

Unknown said...

Although, to be honest, a part of me enjoyed yelling at the announcer about this...oh well, guess I will need to find something else that aggravates me.