Thursday, March 16, 2006

Number 5


Ok. I hope I don't draw the ire of any of my soccer audience out there, but I need to say this out loud. The US Men's National Team may be ranked a little higher than they should be at the moment. I haven't bothered to read how these rankings are completed by FIFA, but we just achieved the ranking of 5th best team in the world. Yes. Fifth. We are ranked above Spain, France, England, Portugal, Germany, and Italy.

Don't get me wrong. I am stoked that we have earned respect. We deserve it after the last World Cup and the success we have had since then. I just happen to look at that list of teams under us and I think that we have a tough road ahead to live up to this ranking. I am a firm believer that this US team can beat anyone out there...that's why you step out on the pitch.

I guess you can call me skeptic. Maybe I am stuck in the past when the US team was pretty weak and I just have yet to catch up to the current reality. Either way, I will be sporting the stars and stripes this summer in Germany and screaming like a freak in the stands. I want to see us take Italy out. I get goose bumps just writing that sentence.

Don't Tread on Me.

No comments: