Saturday, March 04, 2006

You're On My W-Hit List



Weekend Hit List
  1. As you may have (or may not have) noticed. I am a fan of the Scott Adams blog. He had a pretty damn funny post this weekend regarding internet dating sites. He asks his readers: "If you had to design a dating web site that matched people on just two criteria, what would those criteria be?" Very funny. Be sure to check out the comments he receives back - they are sometimes just as good as the actual post.
  2. I haven't tried this yet but I am sure it will be kind of interesting if I do. If you "own" a website, check out Google's Site Map.
  3. I'm pretty curious about Microsoft's Origami project (along with the rest of the world that does not automatically hate anything with Bill's name on it). The website is vague, yet really well done. You can find other websites with rumors, commercials, etc... but the actual site is just damn simple and simply good. Go here.
  4. I have (tangentially) mentioned before that I have bought into the personalized Google start page. You might want to buy into it as well. Anyway, one of the feeds on my start page is the Wikihow pages. I toy with taking it off...but really, some of the topics that people post are just priceless. Try this one: How to Slice a Banana Before It Is Peeled - the author of this particular post actually encourages you to practice this. Just plain weird.
  5. One of the potential music finds of my past week: Hotel Lights, from Chapel Hill, NC. Download "Let Me Be The One" on songs:illinois. Suave mellow indie pop.
  6. Do yourself a favor and go grab the track (Texas To Ohio) by Damien Jurado at So Much Silence. Stop by DJ's website here and grab three more tunes.
  7. Jon Stewart is everywhere these days, including SI.com where he waxes poetic on the similarities between Nutella and Soccer. This quote is truly priceless: "To me, it's probably more like Nutella. The rest of the world clearly loves it and puts it on almost everything, but here in America we're like, 'I don't know, man, it tastes like almonds.'"
  8. New Pearl Jam single. Yes. I am serious. I would click here while it lasts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

New Mudhoney? I'm going to have to check that out. There is a great chunk of music sullied by the late blooming popularity of "grunge". I love me some Mudhoney. Touch me, I'm sick.

Unknown said...

New PJ: Just ok. They've been a little disappointing ever since I stopped wearing flannel. I never spotted cool hand as a Mudhoney fan. Nice.

Unknown said...

I started listening to Soundgarden in '89 when I picked up their "Louder than Love" album. Prior to that I was kicking around the edges of the bad 80s Heavy Metal music with a strong dose of some hard-driving 70s rock. Soundgarden blew me away and I started diving into what would become "grunge" well before Singles hit the theaters. I started to lose interest in Pearl Jam after "Ten". I liked them enough, but they never did anything for me really after that album. I love EV's work on "Temple of the Dog". Soundgarden still tops my list of that genre and when I pull them out for a listen it is likely "Louder than Love" or "Ultramega OK". I have their music from post "Badmotorfinger" but don't give it much rotation. I like Mudhoney a lot. I love the Screaming Trees. I always felt like I should get into Mother Love Bone more than I did. Nirvana was fine but never my thing and I never gave much of the other popular grunge bands much listen (Alice in Chains, etc).

I grew resentful of the "grunge" label and hype and probably still am, but really feel like the overall quality of popular music took a real dive when grunge died.