Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Training Day, Steve Nash

Sometimes it is tough to convince kids to practice. In my opinion, this is one place where the commercial world excels (perhaps as a bi-product, but it is worth noting). At the same time companies are convincing athletes/kids to buy their product, they sell the need to work hard. Of course, they are also sending the message that their product helps improve performance. However, I think that in some cases the message is sent in an way which prevents complete attribution of better performance to buying the latest shoe or other type of training gear.

As a coach, I'll gladly point to commercials like the one below to message to my kids that rewards and accolades are not given freely, they are earned. I also really like the thought that Steve Nash expresses in this commercial related to accentuating your teammates on the field. I think that is a really great way to verbalize one creative component of playing the game.



By the way, Steve Nash looks like a really good soccer player.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking at the begining of the comercial how it seems like the moves on the basketball court would be very sim to soccer....then he said it near the end. WOW....But what were they selling ?...shoes I guess?

pele1410 said...

Check out his wikipedia page, it's got alot of cool stuff about him playing soccer. Like how he trains with Red Bull NY. Link

rc said...

He trained w/ the Red Bulls last year. I think his brother plays for the Canadian National Team, and the Vancouver Whitecaps (not sure of club affiliation).

On a side note, Dauskurdas and Brooksie trained w/ Nash's brother in England when they were trying to make a 3rd Division side that they had gotten a tryout with. They said his brother was a pretty nasty player.

I think Steve Nash is a pretty rabid Tottenham Hotspur supporter as well.