Monday, March 17, 2008

Weekend Recap @ Red Stick

This past weekend was a long weekend of soccer in Baton Rouge for my U-17 team. We entered a tournament with 12 teams (a number this high is quite a feat for a U-17 tournament in these parts) and did so with a roster that put us at about 12-13 players all weekend long. It was hot, the competition was intense, and we were faced with multiple injuries that stacked the odds against us. In bracket play, we finished 2-0-1 on top of our bracket. I was a little disappointed in our tie because I felt like the guys were just coasting and doing the bare minimum. They responded the next day with two straight wins but most importantly, played a beautiful style of soccer. Our possession and off the ball movement in the semi's really made me proud.

Unfortunately, the semi's were marred by an altercation with the other team - I do not think it is appropriate to go into details here. However, we played incredible soccer with tired legs and limited numbers. In the finals, we faced the home team but did not have much left to give. We found ourselves down two goals in less than 5 minutes. After the initial shock, the game settled down, we found our composure and played our game. We actually ended up losing 4-0 but I am not concerned about this in the least. Up until the final whistle, we actually controlled possession and moved the ball really well. We did this without two of our best players and during the 5th game of a long weekend. The fact that we were able to own the ball so well against what will be one of the best teams in the state, signifies the potential we have down the road. I think my players may feel otherwise, but I'll be sure to repeat the message a few times. Good weekend overall.

No comments: