Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Tortoise and the Hare

Sometime within the last 3-4 months, my friend Mark informed me that if our co-ed soccer team was going to have a race to see who was the fastest player on the team, that I would not be invited to compete. I was a little offended by that but let it go after some brief posturing...after all...

...I know I am not incredibly fast. I believe that most of my speed on the field has to do with intelligent positioning and anticipation of the game (read: I may not be faster but I think I am more intelligent). However, if a race is to be had, I wouldn't write me off that easily. That is, until I saw Mark run the 40 in 4.8 seconds after eating bell pepper stew and having consumed an unknown number of beers while watching LSU win the national championship. I will admit, it was an impressive display. And it was caught on film (you can see me and my wife in the background of the photo). All that to say, Mark is fast and this is a long overdue introduction to my friend's site (Life of Mark) which made it into the side bar a few weeks ago. Mark happens to be the referee who appeared in this post in March of 2007...and whose wedding was featured here and here. He also happens to be one of the top 100 up and coming referees in the country and was just recently announced as a 2009 National Referee Candidate. Pretty cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug and the kind words. I'm lucky to have such a good friend.

BTW, you're invited to the showdown when it happens.

Unknown said...

My pleasure. As far as the race goes, I started training this afternoon.