Monday, December 11, 2006

Like Most Americans...

" 'Like most Americans, this administration wants to succeed in Iraq,' the president said after 90 minutes of discussions and a briefing from Baghdad. 'We understand success in Iraq will help protect the United States in the long run.' "

This was a quote in a CNN article today. I know I shouldn't be picky when it comes to word choices and turns of phrases used by the President, but I couldn't help notice this one. "Like most Americans..." I just find that wording a little odd.

I would assume that all sane Americans want to see this crises end. Thus, I read this phrase as a subtle indication that if you don't agree with the President's definition of success, that you really just want Iraq to be a failure. It is a lot like the maneuvering that led to the rather annoying sentiment of: If you don't support the war, you don't support the troops.

No comments: