Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fair Trade?

Posh Spice is moving to LA. She's bringing some dude name Beckham that everyone is all excited about. Ever heard of him?

So yeah...I was on a train all day and missed the onslaught of news related to the massive signing of Becks to LA. Old news at this point I guess. I am pretty optimistic about it. Are you?.

PS - Did you hear that Dempsey's work permit went through? Sweet.


By the way, when is Ronaldo coming and what small fortune do we pay for him? Heck, I'd pay a nice piece of change to see LA play NY if Ronaldo was a Red Bull.

On a personal note, I've spent the week in VA and spent today taking the train back and forth to NJ for a one day work trip. So I'm a little tired to think about optimism or the impact of a global celebrity on American soccer at this point. The fatigue is compounded by the fact that when I got back to DC I ended up at an "all you can eat" Brazilian churrascaria (steakhouse) with some friends. This is the type of place where waiters bring huge knives that are spearing filet, lamb chops, leg of lamb, ribs, rib eye, pork, chicken, sirloin, garlic crusted steaks and other meats to your table as long as you have the sign flipped to green. The restaurant is called Fogo de Chao, 5 blocks from the White House and worth every penny and artery clogging mouthful.

Eat up. We're sending our young guys over seas and taking the old guys in return. Is that a fair trade? Is it weird to say that maybe Dempsey is more exciting to watch than Beckham? Cheers.

3 comments:

rc said...

I got into this argument around World Cup time when everyone was on the Bash Becks Bandwagon. It was an argument with some old college buds I played with, so they were familiar Becks and what he had done.

I maintained, and still maintain, that any player who is that much of a threat on dead ball situations, has a place on my team any day. He has the ability to change the game in a split second, and that is a gift. His game is not suited for La Liga. His crosses are not hammered home by strikers who are comfortable in the air like they should be (remember, Becks is also probably the best crosser of the ball in recent memory as well). His style of play is to not make mistakes in the middle of the field, and wait for his chance to change the game. He is only 31, he has good years left. His problems with the English national team only starting when they began d!cking him around and putting him in the middle of the field...where you can't attack from the flank. Hopefully the Galaxy don't make the same mistake.

With that said, that kind of money buys a lot of "good" players.

All in all good trade for US soccer. Dempsey will get to see if he is really as bad @ss as he thinks he is, and MLS players will have the benefit of playing with and against a true all star. Hopefully Becks will take Landon behind the wood shed in LA and toughen up that pansy. (Sorry Wil, I know you are a fan)...

rc said...

From the London Mirror - so much for Becks staying wide...

"Watford-born Frank Yallop, 42, was an Ipswich player from 1982 to 1996. He said: "David Beckham is a fantastic footballer. To be able to manage and coach him will be a dream come true for me. I see him playing centrally in our league. We have to get him on the ball as much as we can.""

Unknown said...

Oops. I wasn't really bashing Beckham...I think he is a pretty deadly outside attacking midfielder and you are right, his dead ball skills are superb. That central midfield role will be interesting. I wonder if that will work out.

You're right...Landon can toughen up a bit. I don't know if its fair to call him a pansy though.

SE: I think this deal is a lot different than what you saw with the NASL. That high dollar figure is not his actual salary. It is just the media adding in his endorsement and advertising revenue so that the head line is bigger.