Thursday, January 04, 2007

Zidane on the Mind

I received two emails yesterday regarding Zidane and recently I busted out the Zidane jersey I own and started wearing it again.

If you have Zidane on your mind as well, you might want to check out this site for a new movie that has hit the streets. The concept sounds pretty interesting. I need to find out how I can get this on my Netflix queue.

"The film was made by training 17 cameras, under the supervision of acclaimed cinematographer Darius Khondji, solely on footballer Zinédine Zidane over the course of a single match between Real Madrid and Villareal. Zidane himself recounts, in voice-over, what he can and cannot remember from his matches...accompanied by a majestic score from Scottish rock heroes Mogwai...one of the finest studies of man in the workplace, an ode to the loneliness of the athlete and the poise and resilience of the human body."



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Zidane the headbutter? How can you endorse such a man?

Unknown said...

Yup. Zidane is the guy who headbutted the Italian in the final. I guess I have decided that it is not fair for me to judge his entire career by that one moment. It was definitely a low point but he also had many highs. His skill on the ball and the fluidity he has on the field is really something I admire. On the flip side, I guess I am not thinking that wearing his jersey is an endorsement...that is an interesting perspective on it.

Unknown said...

well, he headbutted some guy in the final of the biggest sporting event in the world. he was his team's captain. it was his last game ever. and he was going out as one of the greatest players of all time. then he snapped.

so the girl from the cape brings up a good point... :-)

Anonymous said...

I think wearing a player's jersey is a way of showing that you support that player and that you like him-- no?

And it's not that I think any soccer player who gets carded should be shunned. It's just that Zidane's actions at the end of the World Cup final were egregious.

I probably shouldn't base my thoughts on him only on those few moments in his career, BUT those are the moments that he is probably most famous for. Sadly for him, that might be what he is remembered for by many people. Not everyone, of course. But there are lots of folks who will have only seen him play in that one game, and that is how he'll be remembered.

Okay, the more I write this and think about it, the more my argument falls apart --because obviously, if the dirty unwashed masses have a faulty view of someone, that doesn't mean that their view is the one that matters most.

Mostly, I was just teasing you about wearing the jersey. Carry on.

Unknown said...

Phew...I was hoping you would come around. :-)

Allez les Bleus!

Anonymous said...

Forza Azzuri!!!!!