Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Whistle While You Work

Well, not whistle in my case, "stretch and move" is my new thing. For those of you who are not aware of my current status, I have had a mysterious "illness" for about 3 months now that started out with abdominal pains, migrated to back pains, then leg pains, then abdominal pains...you name it. Through the course of physical therapy, I have been told that this is all possibly related to having poor core strength - which may come from me sitting in an office chair for 10-12 hours a day with very little exercise except for on the weekends. In addition to the health club, physical therapy, and yoga regimen that I am adopting, I have a new work habit that I am trying out today.

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that my desk chair sucks. After about 40 minutes, my legs start to feel cramped and my leg pain starts to come back. During the "week of fun." I had no leg pains because I was always moving around. To fight this, I now have a stop watch next to my desk. Every 40 minutes it beeps and I get up and walk around, stretch, move, change positions. In addition, every time I get on the phone, I am now walking around the house. It may be hard to believe but when I get in the zone, I can sit in this chair and do nothing but work for hours on end. That needs to change.

Finally, lest you think I am a complete idiot. I have started shopping for the best ergonomic chair on the market. Let me know if you have any recommendations on chairs.

6 comments:

rc said...

Funny you mention those symptoms, as cyclists often complain of exactly the same pains. Reason: Poor core strength. Try searching some cycling websites (velonews.com / cyclingnews.com / bicycling.com) for "off-season core strenghtening" which are great exercises that do just that. They may be the same exercises you already are doing, but maybe you can find some different ones to give you some variety.

Unknown said...

RC: I will check those out. Thanks for the tip.

SE: Wow dude...You know, you could always consider going to another destination than the loo. I think the poor core strength thing is bonafide. I am noticing improvement ever since I started certain exercises. Basic flexibility is also an issue for me. And the more I stretch, the better I feel...so I think this it is a valid diagnosis.

Anonymous said...

Did you join REDS?!?!?!

Unknown said...

some girl on the cape-- i can hear you screaming that sentence!

And the answer is yes, he did join Red's!!!

Unknown said...

I've only been there once but I hope to go back soon. I am waiting until I get over this cold. Red himself signed me up. I felt "chosen."

Anonymous said...

I am shocked and elated to hear that you have joined that fine institution.

Red is a good man.